I think I am going to make this a weekly series. Would you guys like that?
I have gotten the cooking bug again (which is a great thing especially on WW).
I cooked this Sunday night and it was fabulous. I thought it was really strange to have peas in a baked ziti, but it was still so good. I highly recommend making this dish because you get turkey, cheesy-goodness, and pasta. I mean, how can you say no to that?
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), spicy-variety, casings removed
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 10 oz frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 6 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Check out these other WW Recipes: