It’s no secret that I have some interesting skin. It’s acne-prone, dry, sensitive and just annoying. I recently came to the conclusion that the skin care regiment I was on for ages wasn’t working. I hated the idea of changing things up because my skin likes to go bonkers, but I also knew that I needed to do something to get rid of the new breakouts I had been having.
While my skin is still not 100% perfect – or looks how I was hoping – it is getting better. So, what did I change?
My Dermatologist Routine
I started going to the Dermatologist back before our wedding. Well before the wedding, actually. We tried a few different things, but what worked best for me was antibiotics, spot treatments and a sulfur lotion. The antibiotics truly were the best thing for me. And they worked for a while.
Then, I ran out of the prescription, and things got bad. I started breaking out a lot more and I couldn’t get a hold of it. I went back to the Dermatologist and she put me on the same prescription, but it just wasn’t the same. It didn’t have the same affect that it did the first time around. I heard that this is the problem with the antibiotics. It was after that visit that I knew something needed to change.
When Jenn posted about her Lush experience, I knew I had to at least give it a try. I was desperate at that point and pretty much willing to do anything to get rid of my acne.
Why Lush Cosmetics?
I believe that it matters what you are putting on your face. 100%. I also think that what you put in your body matters too, but what I was putting on my face was not good for it. I knew that I needed to find something that was natural. I also wanted something that used natural, fresh ingredients and wouldn’t completely kill my skin. It doesn’t hurt that Lush doesn’t do any animal testing on their products and they use wonderful Ethical Buying practices.
The fact that they were natural and handmade kind of sold me. Plus, so many people were talking about how great their products were I couldn’t possibly say no. I mean, they give you free samples after spending an hour with you – it’s a win/win.
My Lush Cosmetics Routine
The weekend after I read Jenn’s post, I marched my booty to Lush to have them help me. My skin was so bad that I went with makeup on (even though I knew I should have gone without it). But regardless, they completely changed my life. I went in and was able to try everything that they were going to give me. They gave me generous samples of everything to try. After I tried everything and liked the results, I purchased the products online. The only one I haven’t had to purchase is Grease Lightening because the sample size was so much.
So what is my routine now?
- Wash my face with plain old water. I will be the first to tell you that this is weird. It still is weird to me and I have been doing it for about 2 weeks. I have been washing my face twice a day my entire life, so changing up this has been a challenge.
- Spritz Eau Roma Water all over my face. This is basically a toner that hydrates my skin and makes it feel so fresh and clean.
- Once it’s dry, I apply Grease Lightening to my trouble spots. Oh, this stuff is gold. I absolutely love it and will be purchasing more soon.
- I use a dab – really, only a dab – of Vanishing Cream to moisturize.
- Then it’s on to the makeup.
I might try the Tea Tree Water as my toner as well. I have heard great things about this one too.
This is where things get crazy!
I take off my makeup by using the Neutragena Wipes. It’s the best thing I have found to remove all my makeup.
- I wash my face with Herbalism. Guys – this stuff is insane. First of all, it’s green. Then it’s got goodness in it that smells very earthy. You take a little bit into your palm and add water to make a paste. It’s weird but so good. Then you gently scrub it all over your face.
- Once I rinse off my face, I spritz the Eau Roma Water. Sometimes I will spritz this directly on my face and sometimes I will spritz it onto a cotton round and rub it on my face. Either way, the result is the same. Wonderful feeling skin.
- After it’s dry, I either put on Grease Lightening or Aczone (from the Dermatologist). Both of these are great, but I do think Aczone has some added benefits when I have a big zit pop up.
- Depending on how my skin feels and the weather, I will dab Vanishing Cream to my face. Some nights I don’t need any moisturizer, or only a little on the tight places.
The Holy Grail of All The Grails
What I am about to share with you might change your life the way it has mine. I have never before been a big mask person. They just never showed me the benefits of a wonderful mask. I have (and recently found) a sulfur mask from Origins that I loved. Until I found Mask of Magnaminty.
I swear by this stuff. It is fantastic, and gentle enough to use 2-3 times a week. I hated the smell of the Origins mask that I had because it used sulfur. Lush’s Mask of Magnaminty uses peppermint. You can only imagine what your face will feel and smell like with this stuff on it. I use the self-preserving kind (that just means that it doesn’t need to be refrigerated), and it is amazing. I could talk this stuff up more than I already have, but I will spare you. Just know that it’s fantastic and works wonders on my skin.
I was not in any way compensated for this post. I just truly believe in these products and have bought all of them with my own money. I can show you the receipts if you want.
Have you ever tried Lush before?