DIY “Book” Shelves

| 26 Comments

When Jeremy first moved in to our condo, we searched Pinterest and the internet for decor inspiration.  Honestly, it was mostly just me searching and getting his input after I found things I really loved.  One of those was some easy to make “book” shelves that we could use to house our wine glasses.  Now, I am sharing with you the super easy way we made it happen.

DIY Book Shelves

What you need for the book shelves:

1. Books that you can display.  I used old copies of the encyclopedia’s we had in our house growing up.  I felt like they were too pretty not to display.
  2. Hinges to hold the books on the wall.
  3. A screwdriver
  4. Things to put on your new shelves.  We use ours for pictures as well as wine glasses.

Directions:

• Choose what you want your books to be.  These need to be small in size so that they don’t put too much weight on the wall, and they also need to be similar size if you are doing 2 books across like I did.  I chose to use 6 books for 3 rows of shelves.

DIY Book Shelves

• Choose what types of hinges you want.  I decided to use a system that I could take the books out if I needed to.  If we have young kiddos come over, we can easily “baby proof” the shelves by taking the books out.  We bought ours at Ace Hardware.  They had different sizes that we could choose from.
  • The top hinge is situated separately for each of the books so that they fit nice and snug.  You simply put the books in between the top hinge and the bottom one.

DIY Book Shelves - hinges

DIY Book Shelves - middle

DIY Book Shelves- full

And it’s as easy as that.  I would love to know what yours look like if you choose to recreate these.

Have you ever DIY-ed anything?

———-

nola5

I have the lovely and super talented Mary from Little Bit Of Class Little Bit Of Sass hanging out with me today.  Mary is a bride to be, getting married in less that 100 days.  I honestly wish Mary lived closer.  We would then be able to hang out and eat Chicago style pizza like it’s going out of style.  Mmm pizza.  I think if I lived in Chicago, I would try to hunt down the best pizza joint in the city too.  There’s something so magical about hot steamy pizza and those huge slices and crust that just seems higher than the sky.  Oh man.  My mouth is watering right now.  Nom nom nom.  Dieting is no fun, people.  No fun!

1st Steelers Game

Besides eating, she is also planning her wedding.  I did mention she is getting married in less than 100 days.  100 days!  AHH.  During her engagement, she came up with a fabulous invitation guide for newly engaged brides.  And boy, do I wish I had this when we started looking at invites.  The options are endless…it really is crazy.  Oh, and she is also the co-host of our Wedding Wednesday linkup!  I know that if we lived in the same city, we would be blogging besties.  Or maybe that’s just me?  Ah, well…I love her to pieces and I want you to as well.

Hair by Bryan

Blog |  Bloglovin  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest  |  Instagram

Comments

• says

Thank you! Inspired by Pinterest completed by K & J Designs. Just kidding. We aren’t designers. But I do love them and I love that I got Jeremy involved in the more “manly” part of the project, i.e. the drilling. I think they turned out so well and I really do love them!

1. says

I’ve seen this floating around Pinterest!! I’ve always loved the idea and now I love it even more hearing how simple it is!! This actually seems like something I could pull off :)

Thanks for sharing!
    Alyssa recently posted…WoreMy Profile

• says

It really is easy. As long as you have skinnier books to use, you should be fine. We looked through the whole set of encyclopedia’s to find the smallest books and them matched them together based on their sizes. It might have taken an hour to do only because we had to go to the hardware store and get the brackets to hang them. Jeremy wanted the gold ones so that they matched the books, but they have silver available too. So easy to do and I love that they can come out easily.

2. says

That project looks really simple. I think my husband would love something like that in his “man cave.” I always thought those shelves ruined the book, but this looks like it is still usable if you ever wanted to use the book again. I have a weird thing about ruining book, even for decorative purposes.
    Diana Griffith recently posted……ConfessionsMy Profile

• says

I am 100% with you. I wanted something that would look permanent, but could actually be removed easily if we wanted to (like when crazy kiddos come over and flail their arms all over the place). Easy to install and easy to remove. And no hard to the books themselves at all either, which I love. I’m the same way…I didn’t want to totally ruin these books (even though they are REALLY old and outdated). I just wanted to display them somehow in our house.

• says

Thanks! I have a ton of books as well, but I loved the look of these the best (and I had 6 matching ones laying around). You should definitely try this with your books. I mean, what a great way to display them!

• says

Ha! Thank you. It helps to have inspiration from Pinterest too. It was pretty easy to do as well. If you have any books laying around that could work together, you could make these shelves too. It’s easy — I promise!

And you are most welcome. It was hard coming up with things to say about you that I haven’t already said! HA! Love you too! :)

• says

Thanks! That was important to me. I didn’t want holes in the books or having to take a drill to a book. I love that you can remove them if you want or need and you can quickly set them back up just as easily. They don’t hold a ton, but its enough to be a statement piece in your house. I mean, there are books on your walls as bookshelves. It’s like an automatic conversation starter!

3. says

Hey! I know that girl :)

I haven’t wanted to put a whole lot of effort into our apartment (keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll be moving into a house sooner rather than later), but this DIY looks so simple and cute, I just might have to try it!

• says

Haha! Yes, I guess you do “know” me!

It took us a while to figure out how to decorate our place (I lived here a few months before Jeremy moved in). We had to find ideas and then agree on said ideas. We have a good amount of Ikea furniture here but I didn’t want it to feel like Ikea, so we were able to do that. And I wanted our book shelves to be more of a statement when you walk in the door. Could we have gotten something from Ikea? Yes. But I really didn’t want our whole house to be Ikea, so I scoured Pinterest and found this. So easy to do! And you can take it with you whenever you move too. So so simple!

4. Nikki says

This is a wonderful DIY idea. I would have never thought to use actual books for the shelves. Thank you for sharing!

- Nikki

• says

Thank you so much! I love them and they really are so easy to do. I never would have thought of using books either. Thank goodness for Pinterest inspiration, right?

Share Your Thoughts