Why I Hate the BCS

| 15 Comments

This year is panning out to be similar to 2004.  What am I talking about?  Auburn football.  But you talked about that on Tuesday.  Yes, I talked about the Iron Bowl this year (which was so epic, I can’t even tell you).  Today, I am going to tell you why I hate the BCS.

Auburn doesn’t have the respect of the voters who make up the BCS.  We never have.  You might not remember this, but in 2004 Auburn went undefeated.  This means, we had to beat all the same teams we have played this year and we still didn’t get to go to the Championship Game that year.  Why?  Because the BCS is a terrible system and the voters just don’t respect Auburn.

I was in school in 2004, and I can tell you that this year seems to be very similar to 2004.

samfordhall2013

I saw this article yesterday and knew that I had to share it with you guys.  They do a blind test of the top 5 teams in the BCS but you don’t know who is who.

They used this data:

*  Opponents’ winning percentage

*  Overall margin of victory for the season (with deficits in losses deducted)

*  The average margin of victory per game (with deficits in losses deducted)

*  The number of opponents currently ranked in the top 25 of the BCS standings

*  The number of opponents ranked in the top 25 of the USA Today Coaches’ Poll at the time of the game

*  The number of top 50 foes played (according to the current 1-125 BCS rankings)

*  The number of sub-75 foes played (according to the current 1-125 BCS rankings)

*  The average current BCS ranking of each team’s foes

And this is how it turned out:

blindteamsBCSvia

So who do you think should play in the Championship game based on this?

Surprise!  Based on this data, it should be Auburn vs. Missouri.  Obviously this will play out tomorrow during the SEC Championship game, but it’s sad because even if Auburn wins tomorrow, we probably won’t make it to the BCS Championship game.  Why?  Because 2 unbeaten teams are ahead of us and everyone thinks that they deserve to play each other.  Sadly, this was exactly the case in 2004 and it didn’t play out that way for us.

It doesn’t matter that Auburn played a tougher schedule than either FSU or OSU (sorry Noles fans, but it’s true!) but since they are unbeaten, they will play each other.  I just don’t think it’s going to be a very good Championship game.  I can also pretty much guarantee that if we played LSU later in the season, we would have killed them.  We are a completely different team than we were when we played them (in week 3), that I have confidence that we would be undefeated if we had played them later in the season.  This is obviously in my opinion.

I don’t want to offend anyone who is rooting for FSU or OSU.  I just feel so bad for our players because they have played their little hearts out, and while they might have gotten lucky (ok…really lucky), we still have those wins.  It doesn’t matter how we won, it’s that we did win.  I just think it’s unfair and I can’t wait for the playoff system to be in place next year.

Who do you think should play in the BCS Championship game?

Comments

1. Cori H. says

I would love to see a FSU vs Auburn championship game! I’m an Auburn fan because I was born and raised in Alabama. However, FSU will always be my #1 team. Go Noles and War Eagle!

• Kristyn Carlin says

Wouldn’t that be awesome? It won’t happen, but we can all wish, right? I just think it’s sad because I think Auburn and FSU would be a great championship. At least we would both show up to win. I think Ohio State and FSU is going to be a terrible championship. Either it will be really low scoring or FSU is going to kill OSU. Sigh.

2. AK says

I am NOT an Auburn fan in the least, but I DO think it should be FSU and Auburn in the championship game. But, then I will also be a terrible debate in which I must decided to cheer for Auburn since it’s SEC or just not even watch the dang game! HA!

• Kristyn Carlin says

Haha. I don’t think I would really care as long as 2 teams that deserved to be in the championship would be there. And I am sorry, but OSU hasn’t played anyone AT ALL worthy of them being #2. I know they have been undefeated 2 years now, but their conference is crap right now. It’s sad that Auburn won’t make it, but I am really trying hard to accept it now so I won’t be disappointed later.

• Kristyn Carlin says

I’m hoping for that too but I also know that it probably will never happen. Oh well. At least I know that others want us to go as well.

3. Kalyn V says

I completely agree… I’ve watched out guys improve drastically this season, doing pretty much a complete 180 from last year yet they still may kit make it to the NC. Some believe (and I hope) that of OSU loses then Auburn will play FSU. That’s what should happen anyway.

OSU hasn’t lost a game in two seasons, HOWEVER, they also haven’t played a team ranked above 15 in that time either and Michigan St is 10. It should be a good game to say the least.

Either way I’m proud of Auburn’s season!

• Kristyn Carlin says

I KNOW! Being able to see them overcome so much has been amazing. And watching them do it has just been icing on the cake.

It will be interesting to see what happens today and how it all shakes out. Who knows what will happen. But I am SO SO PROUD of our Auburn Tigers this year. They have done SUCH a great job this season and they really do deserve to go to the BCS Championship.

4. Lisa C says

But really, why does a one-loss Alabama team that couldn’t even play in the conference championship get a national championship berth when an undefeated SEC champ Auburn team doesn’t?

• Kristyn Carlin says

Well, Auburn isn’t undefeated. We lost to LSU in our 3rd game this season. So, it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out after today. Who knows what will end up happening. And since a lot is dependent on the voters, who knows what will happen. There are so many scenarios that could happen today, so I think we all just have to wait and see.

5. says

I don’t agree with the BCS at all for many of the reasons listed and then some…it just seems that teams that SHOULD get to the national championship don’t get there while others who shouldn’t be there end up playing.

• Kristyn Carlin says

I could have gone on and on about why I am not a fan of the BCS, but I didn’t want to be negative Nancy. But I do totally agree with you. It’s sad. It’s not about the 2 best teams. It’s about who the voters want to play and about the money they will get. I’m so glad that it’s going away and a playoff system will be put in place.

Share Your Thoughts